Forgotten Songs in Australia
Hidden in a Sydney alleyway called Angel Place the songs of fifty different species of birds that were gradually forced out of the city as a result of European settlement can still be heard calling down from a canopy of birdcages.
For more photographs of the permanent art exhibit, Forgotten Songs, be sure to navigate to #forgottensongs as well as the location page for Angel Place.
Hey Boss Man: Welcome to Starvation Lake
I stumbled across Starvation Lake at a book sale in St. Charles. I had been trying to find some new authors for mystery readers at the bookstore who had ran through most of the mass market authors, so I was picking up trade-size books at random. In the book publishing world,…
The Early Jobs of 24 Famous Writers
A little perspective is always nice.
- William S. Burroughs was an exterminator. He really liked that job. He liked the word, too, and published a collection of short stories called Exterminator! not to be confused with a collaborative collection of stories with Brion Gysin called The Exterminator.
- Vladimir Nabokov was an entomologist of underappreciated greatness. His theory of butterfly evolution was proven to be true in early 2011 using DNA analysis.
- Margaret Atwood first worked as a counter girl in a coffeeshop in Toronto, serving coffee and operating a cash register, which was a source of serious frustration for her. She details the experience in her essay, “Ka-Ching!”
- Don DeLillo took a job as a parking attendant when he was a teenager. It was so boring that he became an avid reader, which led him to pursue a career in writing.
- Before writing 1984, George Orwell (born Eric Arthur Blair) was an officer of the Indian Imperial Police in Burma. He shouldered the heavy burden of protecting the safety of some 200,000 people, and was noted for his “sense of utter fairness.”
- Though it’s apparent in reading Joseph Conrad’s work (especially Heart of Darkness) that he lived a large part of his life at sea, it’s maybe less obvious that he spent part of that time involved in gunrunning and political conspiracy.